Friday, July 27, 2007

And when we got home....

Cherie our kitty usually gets upset with us when she has to be put into the kennel, which means that we find "presents" somewhere in the house within one to two days upon returning. They've always been dead, sometimes mangled. Not this time. This time she left not one but two baby birds near James' favorite perch in the back yard. One was really pitiful and we didn't think he would make it through the first night. I had this weird emotional hormonal crazy pregnant woman response to the poor little thing and couldn't even look at him. Which is probably why I didn't realize there were two of them until later. James was brilliant in handling them. He tried out a variety of nests till he got the perfect one, then set them under a light bulb to keep warm. He even got them to eat a few bread crumbs. After a morning of feeding on watered down milk (we were out) until I could get to the store, they were ready for something better. So now they get milk, bread, chewed apple and pecans all blended together and fed to them through a dropper. This new recipe has gone over really well, and they are feeding like crazy! The little weak one is no longer the little weak one, and it's getting to the point that they're standing on each other to fight for food. I'm trying to upload video, but so far no luck.
<

No comments: